Archives and Special Collections
92 Snell Library
360 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115
(617) 373-2351

Table of Contents

Collection Overview




Printable Finding Aid

Search All Finding Aids

Archival Collections

Manuscript Collections
Archives and Special Collections Finding Aids
Collection Overview
Name of Creator:Barnett Institute of Chemical and Biological Analysis.
Title:Barnett Institute of Chemical and Biological Analysis records
Date:1978-2004 (bulk 1992-2004)
Reference Code:A121
Location Code:34/3
Extent:0.35 cubic ft (1 box)
Scope and Content Note:The collection includes materials documenting the history of the Barnett Institute at Northeastern University. These consist of promotional publications, annual reports, documentation of significant anniversaries, issues of the Barnett Gazette newsletter, media coverage of the Institute, and financial development papers. While the earliest materials date to 1961, the bulk of the collection spans the years between 1990 and 2004. The collection documents the evolution of the Barnett Institute into an internationally recognized research center, noting many of its significant accomplishments and milestones along the way.
Historical Note:The Barnett Institute of Chemical Analysis and Materials Science was established at Northeastern University in 1973 as the Institute of Chemical Analysis, Applications and Forensic Science. It was founded by Barry Karger and Bill Giessen, professors of chemistry; Norman Rosenblatt, Dean of the College of Criminal Justice; and Karl Weiss, Chair of the Chemistry Department, with a grant from the United States Department of Justice. The Institute spearheaded graduate education and research in analytical chemistry, materials science, and forensic science, and was internationally recognized for its research accomplishments by the early 1980s. In 1983, Dr. Louis Barnett, recipient of a 1977 Honorary Doctorate in Engineering from Northeastern, and his wife Madilyn Barnett contributed a major endowment for the Institute, leading to the renaming of the Institute as the Barnett Institute of Chemical Analysis and Materials Science. In 1985, Dr. James L. Waters, also a recipient of a 1977 Honorary Doctorate from Northeastern, established the James L. Waters Chair in Analytical Chemistry. This was followed in 1993 by a second named chair, the Bradstreet Chair in Bioanalytical Chemistry, established in memory of Raymond and Claire Bradstreet. Raymond Bradstreet was a Northeastern alumnus and recipient of a 1988 Honorary Doctorate from Northeastern. The Institute continued to grow its international reputation, and in 1989 began co-sponsoring the annual International Symposia on High Performance Capillary Electrophoresis. The Institute also established the Rosenblatt Memorial Lecture series in 1992 in memory of co-founder Dr. Norman Rosenblatt. With a shift in the research focuses of the Institute, the name was changed again in 2000 to the Barnett Institute of Chemical and Biological Analysis.
Language and Scripts:Materials entirely in English.
System of Arrangement:Arranged in one alphabetical sequence by subject.
Subjects and Contributors:
  • Karger, Barry L., 1939-
  • Giessen, B. C., 1932-
  • Rosenblatt, Norman

  • Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). Barnett Institute
  • Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). Barnett Institute of Chemical Analysis and Materials Science
  • Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). Barnett Institute of Chemical and Biological Analysis
  • Northeastern University (Boston, Mass.). Institute of Chemical Analysis, Applications and Forensic Science
  • Chemical laboratories -- Massachusetts -- Boston

  • Biology -- Study and teaching -- Massachusetts -- Boston
  • Chemistry -- Study and teaching -- Massachusetts -- Boston

Conditions Governing Access:The collection is unrestricted.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use:Copyright restrictions may apply.
Finding Aids:Photographs of Barnett Institute facilities, faculty, students, donors, and events are available in collections A60, A62, and A103. Records of research projects affiliated with the Barnett Institute are available in collection A115. Additional media coverage of the Barnett Institute is available in collection A107. Records of the development of the Barnett Institute are available in collection A55. Further documentation of the Barnett Institute is available in collections A10, A19, A23, and A56.
Processor:Finding aid prepared by Caitlin Birch, March 2013