Archives and Special Collections
92 Snell Library
360 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115
(617) 373-2351

Table of Contents

Collection Overview




Printable Finding Aid

Search All Finding Aids

Archival Collections

Manuscript Collections
Archives and Special Collections Finding Aids
Collection Overview
Name of Creator:Chas. T. Main, Inc.
Title:Chas. T. Main, Inc. records
Date:1975-[1977+]
Reference Code:M152
Location Code:73/1
Extent:0.15 cubic ft.
Scope and Content Abstract:This collection documents the various topics of research and work done by Chas. T. Main, Inc. in areas of engineering, such as electrical, hydroelectric, and mechanical. The collection contains an index of articles written by and about Chas T. Main, Inc. and related fields of engineering. The index indicates topic, title, author, location, and date the article was presented. This collection also includes a reprint of an address given at the 1975 National Meeting of the Newcomen Society by W. M. Hall and C. A. Dauber about the history of Chas. T. Main, Inc.
Historical Abstract:Chas. T. Main, Inc. was a Boston engineering company founded by Massachusetts Institute of Technology graduate Charles T. Main in 1893. Main was a mechanical engineer working in the textile mills of New England and a major developer in the new field of hydroelectric power. He also served as the American Society of Mechanical Engineers' President from 1918-1919. In 1926, the company was incorporated as Chas. T. Main, Inc. Main and his associates decided that all stock would be privately owned by senior engineers so that the company was free of outside influence and only those who knew the industry best would make decisions. By the 1950s, Chas. T. Main Inc. consulted or worked internationally on projects, including building a hydro-electric plant in Turkey and developing a plan to unify development of the water resources of the Jordan River Valley for its surrounding countries, Jordan, Syria, and Israel. Domestically, Chas. T. Main, Inc. began an association with the Atomic Energy Commission in 1949 and was responsible for supporting plutonium production reactors facilities, water treatment plants, and reactor coolant activities, among other nuclear projects. In 1956, a rock slide in the Niagara River New York destroyed two-thirds of the Niagara power capacity. Chas. T. Main, Inc. was contracted to create a power plant to compensate for the loss of power and save the area's economy. In the late 1980s, suffering management problems, the company was bought by Parsons Corporation of Pasadena, California. In 1992, the company's name was changed to Parsons Main, Inc., located in Canton, Massachusetts as a subsidiary of Parsons Corporation.
Language and Scripts:Material is entirely in English.
System of Arrangement:Arranged in one alphabetical sequence by subject.
Subjects and Contributors:
  • Main, Charles Thomas, 1856-1943

  • Chas. T. Main, Inc.

  • Engineering Business (Firm)
  • Engineering Research

Conditions Governing Access:This collection is unrestricted.
Finding Aids:A table of contents by subject is found in Folder 2.
Processor: Finding aid prepared by Eliana Wachs Cashman, April 2008.